Tuesday 4 October 2022

I do not accept the premise of your question

 Whenever our new Prime Minister doesn’t want to answer a question (which is often) she says, “I do not accept the premise of the question.” It’s odd because sometimes the question has no premise. It’s just a question.



Do you like conkers?

No premise. The answer is yes. If you say no then you are just a weirdo.

Why do you feel the need to fill your pockets with them?

Again, no premise but a difficult question to answer. Why we become magpies for these shiny brown nuts is something I will never understand. It’s not even as though they are food but something about their round brown smoothness, when secretly rubbed with a thumb is soothing.

This week on Twitter I have seen people posting that they find it hard to resist the urge to pick them up and stuff them in their pockets. ‘Why resist?’ I wonder. 

When the vicar left his coat behind at school, the office suggested that I check the pockets for conkers and acorns to prove that the cost belonged to an adult and not a child.

Apparently, you are supposed to grow out of this sort of collecting. I haven’t and I can’t entirely blame the dog.

Why, as an adult, do you feel the need to fill your pockets with natures treasures?

I do not accept the premise of the question. An adult? Me?  Phew! That got me out of answering the difficult question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment