Wednesday 2 October 2019

Get it done

The Government are spending millions to fill my social and regular media with the phrase, ‘Get Brexit Done,’ and frankly, it’s getting more than a bit annoying now.

Linguistically, it’s just such an ugly phrase.  I wondered if there was a hidden meaning in the anagram, like Yellowhammer = Orwell mayhem, to make it more elegant. The best I can come up with was beg rodent exit, beret detoxing, gob rented exit, bigot extender and being extorted but none of them really work.

There are lots of things in our lives that we would like to be over but it’s not always simple. The Long Suffering Husband has sought planning permission (from me) to destroy a bit of my garden to build a workshop. I gave it ages ago. Since then plans have had to be made, bits of the garden have been cleared, brackets, blocks and wood are being sourced at the best possible price. And all of this has to happen before he actually builds the shed. At this early planning and clearing stage it would be totally unreasonable for him to turn to me and shout, “Just get the shed done, will you?” If I were to shout it at him it might be more reasonable but even then  it wouldn’t be realistic, after all he doesn’t have a shed building magic wand.

The truth of getting Brexit done is that it will just be the begin for of the job. The years of negotiations that follow, the possible economic uncertainty, the politicians calling for a general election because they really don’t want to do the next bit are what happens next. It would be like the LSH buying all the wood for the shed and saying, “look, I got the shed done, over to you.”

Mostly though, I just wish they’d not spend so much money on advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment