Wednesday 24 July 2019

The Summer FOMO list

School’s out for summer.

Whatever town you live in there will be drunk teachers everywhere. Teachers will be having coffee that they manage to stretch from 10 until 12. There will be teachers visiting art galleries and going to the cinema - at night and on a weekday. Long lunches with friends, (Oh yes, teachers will remember they have friends) will become a regular feature of their days.  Teachers will spend time with their own families. Teachers will read. They won’t just read policy documents and children’s writing but they will have time for a novel, or unwisely an article in the Daily Mail designed to poke a teacher into sharing the article over every form of social media, with an angry face emoji. They will still spend some time thinking about next year, possibly cutting out display letters in front of the TV, but they will have so much more energy because they won’t be playing a live action version of whack-a-mole with thirty children every day between 8.30 and 3.30. Teachers will swear and stop saying things like, “You have a choice. You are in control of your own body and you can choose not to hit people when you are cross,” and their eyebrows will slowly relax into a normal position. Some teachers will travel, or go on an adventure, or get married. Teachers love the summer holidays.

I started in summer holiday mode before I’d actually finished (because I’m a part-timer) with a long coffee with a friend. I had a peppermint tea and attempted a spot of tasseography.

“Is that a question mark,” I asked my friend, swirling my cup around under her nose. We agreed it was and wondered what it means. Google urged caution but maybe it was just asking me to think about how I’m going to best use these six weeks.

The Long Suffering Husband was keen to take a holiday but thinking about flying was making me quite anxious, so he gave up on the idea. I was quite relieved but then I felt guilty.
“I know,” I said, “Why don’t we use the money we would have spent and have a summer of adventures in the UK? Let’s make a list of all the things we’ve never done that we’d like to and see how many we can tick off.”
“Like a bucket list?” He wasn’t entirely convinced.
I assured him I had no intention of calling it a bucket list; that’s only if you are dying.
“We can call it our FOMO list,” I told him. “Fear of missing out,” I added to smooth his wrinkled brow.

I had more to put on the list than he did. He tends to be better at just doing whatever he wants when it occurs to him. The more I thought about it the more ideas I came up with.  When I was walking I met a couple by the falls who told me that they were here because they had the salt and thought they should visit the place. I considered a food tour of the uk but I’ve already eaten Pork Pies at Melton Mowbray and Weetabix in Welwyn Garden City.

Summer 2019 FOMO list


  • Adventure golf at Prom
  • Cruise river from prom or sail on a barge
  • Hamilton
  • Waitress
  • Royal Academy Exhibition
  • Skybar london (walkie talkie building
  • Visit Highgrove
  • Visit a coronation meadow
  • Tank museum
  • Catch up with friends
  • Visit more National Trust properties
  • Lost gardens of Heligan
  • Chips at Whitby
  • Do a. Escape room
  • Go to a balloon festival
  • See Shakespeare at the Globe
  • See Shakespeare in Stratford upon Avon
  • See a kingfisher in the wild
  • Beth Chatto garden
  • Swim at the Olympic pool 
  • Hampstead Heath and Highgate cemetery 
  • Swim in Hampstead ponds
  • Banstead lavender fields
  • British Library
  • See otters in the wild
  • Have tidy cupboards
  • Be organised
  • Get allotment ready for next year
  • Read lots
  • Write something
  • Duxford
  • Eat at a Michelin stared  restaurant
  • York Minster
  • Durham
  • East coast Yorkshire 
  • Eat a Yorkshire pudding in Yorkshire
  • Try Pontefract cake in Pontefract or Bakewell Tart in Bakewell.
The LSH has taken the list as a personal challenge. Today we go to catch up with my daughter, the next day York, then Durham followed by Whitby, travelling back down the east coast and eating Yorkshire puddings.  Maybe the question mark in my tea leaves was to remind me to add ‘rest and relax’ to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment