Sunday 16 June 2019

Climate Change - the last straw

On Friday evening I went to a meeting about Climate Change organised by an extraordinary thirteen year old that I used to teach.  I came home and wanted to blog straight away but it took me ages to get my head around it all.  I like to think I'm not a stupid person but this stuff can be really complicated.

I cancelled our usual orchestra rehearsal to allow all our members the chance to attend because I thought that young people would want to know exactly what they need to be doing to secure the future of the planet.  The meeting was reasonably well attended but not packed.  I hadn't been able to persuade the Long Suffering Husband to come with me (although, I didn't try too hard and he was kept up to date by my friend's husband texting him all the way through). As usual with meetings, the average age of the audience was probably over fifty.  There were some young people there, probably drawn in by the clever title (last straw) and the wonderful work of David Attenborough, hoping for ideas how to get their parents to stop using cling film.  They might have been disappointed if they were because there was very little talk about plastic in the sea.  It seems as though the 5p carrier bag tax and Sir David have been the best catalyst.

The meeting was organised by Hattie Phillips and Jill Bruce from the WI and they had managed to get the MP (John Whittingdale) to chair, Gareth Redmond -King (Head of Climate Change WWF-UK), Darren Tansley (Essex Wildlife Trust), Sam Frankhauser (Climate Change academic from the LSE) to speak.  The headteacher introduced the meeting, being very rightly proud of his student.

I'm not good at meetings.  I get bored and fidgety and my bum is too bony to sit in one place for over an hour.  I get cross at people who like the sound of their own voice, so this was always going to be a  challenge for me.   I had my special notebook for meetings and I think I only sighed out loud once or  twice.  But I am glad I went.

Because I read and I go outside I am aware that things are changing faster than they should.  This meeting gave me some of the facts to back up my observations.  Sometimes, I have mentioned my fears to the LSH, who always assures me that it will be fine because humans are resourceful and clever and that we will invent a solution.  He might be right because I remember being at school in the Seventies and being told that Norfolk would have washed away by the time I was an adult.  We were shown pictures of the Wash and projections of how much further in it would be.  They weren't wrong but we developed technological solutions rather than fixing the cause of the problem. We developed flood barriers and coastal defenses.

The man from Essex Wildlife Trust, who from hereon in I will refer to as the Beaver Wrangler, explained that these defenses have, in fact caused problems to our soil, which has less structure and is washing into our rivers and out to sea.  Apart from Hattie, the Beaver Wrangler was my favourite speaker.  He talked about trees and Beavers and using nature to heal the earth.  Water is a huge problem in this part of Essex.  We are in danger of flood from being on an estuary with sea level rising and have one of the lowest amounts of rainfall (that I think of as the Maldon Umbrella), so are also in danger of drought.  John Whittingdale confessed that he had only this week had a visit from the environment agency  to warn him of the dangerously low water levels in his constituency (he didn't say what his response was). There was hope from the Beaver Wrangler.

The man from WWF was less hopeful.  In fact, his information made me feel quite depressed.  He explained that the main problem has always been carbon dioxide.  Releasing CO2 into the environment causes the planet to warm and this is a problem.  It was a problem in the Seventies, when we were shown pictures of the Wash and it's a critical problem now.  It could be irreversible too.  Because we have developed technical solutions to the effects we have ignored what we need to do to stop it happening and have allowed people with less imagination to deny that it is happening.

He told us that the planet has warmed by one degree in the last Century and that the rise in temperature is happening faster and faster.  We only have ten years before it's up 1.5 degrees and we are on track for warming of 3 degrees by the end of the Century. When you are faced with facts like that it is difficult not to think that the whole thing is hopeless.  All the panelists were talking about keeping the rise capped at 1.5 degrees and none were talking about reversing it.  Someone asked about the possibility and were told that if we can stop the rise then there is a possibility that nature can reverse it but it is only a possibility.

The man from the LSE with the beautiful Swedish sounding accent and the geeky facts was more positive.  Our country has reduced its CO2 emissions by 40% since 1990 and that we are using 3 times less CO2 per unit of GDP than we were.  He pointed out that our electricity production was much better than it had ever been and was leading the way in reducing CO2 emissions.  Farming, household, aviation, shipping and industry were lagging behind but there were things everyone could do.  He told us that eating less meat was essential to saving the planet and was good for us, as he patted his stomach and told us that he certainly felt better for it. Would it be wrong to kidnap him and keep him in a cage to quote geeky facts at me with that lovely accent? I always have spare courgettes I could feed him.  Sorry, I got distracted for a moment there.  This is a serious subject.

John Whittingdale was very pleased with himself, having started his political career as Margaret Thatcher's  political secretary (or toy boy, as the Sun called him at the time), knowing that her drive to end coal mining and support nuclear fuel had been a large factor in causing the cleaning up of electricity production.  It really wasn't the right audience for this kind of self congratulation, as most people there wouldn't have advocated the destruction of whole communities and stomping all over the poor or have described a fuel that can change the genes of all living things and cause cancer  as 'clean'.  The collective sucking in of breath was almost an environmental disaster of its own. He also confessed that the government has spent too much time talking about "the dredded B word, which divides opinion" but still seemed to think it would somehow help us sort out climate change.

The more I listened to the experts, the more complicated I realised the whole thing is.  Just because we are releasing less CO2 doesn't mean we are less responsible, as we outsource our production to China and then ship our goods over.  Shipping didn't even make it onto the chart in the race for cleaning up CO2 emissions.  I kept worrying that it needed to be a whole world approach and wondered whether there was really any point, as we would never get everyone to agree.

Every expert on climate change seems to agree that we need to eat less meat.  The three on the panel were all at least vegetarian.  I'm shocked at how important this seems to be.  There were lots of facts given that I didn't write down but have been swimming in my little brain since the meeting about how much environmental damage is done by farming of animals.  I'm conflicted by this.  I like seeing cows on farms, sheep in fields and I get terribly excited if I go to Suffolk and see the pigs.  Sunday roast is my favourite dinner and I know that I find it easier to eat a less processed diet when I eat meat.  The Beaver Wrangler, was also upset about not being able to eat meat any more.  He misses it but has decided that it's what he needs to do to help the planet.  John Whittingdale flatly refused to consider the idea, as it would be too difficult for him and his rich constituents are beef farmers. A vegan in the audience asked an important question, which I think was missed by many people, who were too busy being horrified at the idea of giving up steak and chips. She wanted to know if it was time the government changed it's advice on whether you need meat for a healthy balanced diet.  This is such a good question because if the government have only advised this to keep their wealthy beef farmers happy then we need to know.

One of the speakers gave us a list of things we could do.

Walk, cycle or buy an electric car
Be energy efficient at home 
Eat less meat
Travel more thoughtfully
Make your voice heard
Go on school strike.

I think most of us there were too old for school strike but we could make an attempt at the rest.

Although I was overwhelmed a lot of the time during this meeting there was one thing that made me leave full of hope.  That was Hattie.  When there are young people like this in the world there is still a chance.  Her presentation was truly inspirational.  She started by saying, " I'm thirteen years old can't have sex for three years but already I've had more education on sex than I've had on climate change."
(Forgive me if I've misquoted, I didn't write it down) Then she explained that things could change because a few years ago no one of thirteen would ever dream of talking about sex in front of their parents, grandparents and MP.  She talked about small changes and getting outside, not ordering that dress from Asos that you didn't need, connecting with nature and wanting to save the planet. She also saw hope in the fact that her classmates were dropping litter and sending her videos of themselves doing it, to wind her up.  She thought that at least they were thinking about the fact that they'd dropped litter.  She talked about having three meat free days a week or walking to school and she showed that she could get politicians to listen. She told us that we'd have to stand in woodland for 500 thousand years before being abducted.

Thank you Hattie. I'm prepared to give it a go.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, I agree Hattie was amazing and an inspiration. We completely differ on some of the other speakers. I thought the WWF guy was actually spot on and realistic with his assessment, its no point kidding ourselves that massive change is not coming, but with significant adaption, life can still be great, just very very different. The Wildlife guy was also amazing showing real world local ecological impacts and what they are doing to combat this including beavers. His most important point I thought was the coming shortage of Water and Soil as obviously essential resources. Whittingdale is an MP and did what MP's do, charm and spin, spin, spin. But the LSE Professsor guy, !!! I'm definitely no expert like the speakers but to me it seemed he presented the UK as already doing so well, yet for example left out emissions from Aviation and Shipping until correctly challenged by one in the audience. This is a massive omission and is intentional creative accounting by the UK government (and the LSE) This is our children's lives at stake. The professors general trend was that it can all be OK and we can carry on with our holidays and cars etc. with a few personal changes. While its hard to swallow this is just not a fair representation of the seriousness of the situation and very irresponsible. He spoke of a massive drawdown and storage of Carbon as if its a done deal that we will do that. As I understand it, that technology (apart from Trees), does not exist in a form that will scale up to anything like the levels needed to keep us below 1.5 degrees. And he also said we should double, yes double our electricity production. I don't know maybe thats true as they were also saying as per the MP's, all cars replaced by EV by 2030 or 40. Think of that, all that production of new cars. I'd have thought a more responsible approach would be a massive investment in public transport, car sharing etc. But as he was at heart an economist being from the LSE I guess he was no doubt right behind the corporations excited at the prospect of bumper sales of EV cars coming. If we make public transport frequent and cheap there will be less reliance on individual car ownership. When he was challenged about manufacturing being pushed out of the UK (making us look greener) and that some manufacturing countries we use for manufacture rely heavily on coal he said something like, it wont matter where things are made as all will be using renewable !! Mmmm. Not sure about that. He was also all about the big opportunities ahead in the form of green products and our economy. Well in the absence of massive carbon drawdown and sequestering technology we need to be very careful about not creating a whole load more carbon intensive, resource extractive 'green' products. Economic growth generally means more products which means more extraction of resources, more water useage. Maybe we need to start thinking in terms of economy de-growth, and deep adaption (look it up its startling reading). I'm now going to do as brilliant Hattie says, and go stand in the forest. Maybe my 500,000 year cycle is up and I'll get abducted. I almost hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Les. You have taken in more information than I did. I will certainly read about deep adaptation.

      To be honest, it was the man from the LSE's accent that I liked but you are right to point out that he was an economist and so was thinking about solutions that would appeal to business and the economy. It is a complicated subject and personal beliefs do make it an emotive subject.
      What I really liked about Hattie's approach was her calm insistence that doing something, even if it seems a little thing, is better than nothing. Most people are never going to become climate activists or make their lives much worse than everyone else's but everyone can do something.

      Delete
  3. Julia, this might add a brief understanding of Deep Adaption I mentioned above, heres a summary I saw online of Deep Adaptation which encourages readers to reassess work and life in the face of an inevitable near term social collapse due to climate change. The author talks about the denial we face as we go through stages of climate acceptance:

    The LSE guy was perhaps at 3b ? I like the last three stages!!

    1. Hearing the early warnings
    2. Siding with the environment
    3. Hearing the dire warnings
    3b. (scientists only) Erring on the side of least drama (giving false hope) 
    4. Becoming a climate activist
    5. Accepting it's too late 
    5b. (scientists only) Admission that it's too late 
    6. Accepting NTHE  (Near Term Human Extinction)
    7. Grieving
    8. Rejection of NTHE
    9. Acceptance of adaptation 
    10. Resilience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paper that Les talks about can be read in full here:
      https://www.lifeworth.com/deepadaptation.pdf

      Delete