Sunday 5 August 2018

It's been a while - crack on

It's been a while since I wrote a blog. 

Sometimes my mind gets a bit clogged up with things that would be funny to write about but because I don't blog straight away it feels too late.  I was enjoying my bird a day theme but we've missed curlew, marsh harrier, sparrow and wren, which all came after 'Tern day' which was the day I thought I started to feel a bit more normal (whatever that is) and began to speak to  real living people again.

We went to Aldeburgh for a few days away.  This is where all the posh people live, or have holiday homes.  I have a natural aversion to a plummy accent and the sense of entitlement that goes with it.  
The teenagers in Suffolk are particularly funny and are probably the basis for Mitchell and Webb's Pilots.  

We first realised that we had stepped into the linguistic upper class when a shop keeper said, "Would one's dog like to come in?"  The Long Suffering Husband thought that only the Queen used 'one' as a pronoun now.  

The next morning at 6am, we were walking along the beachfront towards Thorpeness.  Once we got past the area where the signs told us dogs were not allowed we moved to the water's edge.  After a while we saw an old couple, who were just preparing for their early morning swim.  The woman was furious.  
"One is not allowed on this bit of the beach with one's dog," she shouted. "One should be able to read the signs."

We were confused, as there had been no signs that we could see, although once we got back on the promenade we could see that she was right and one vowed to read all the signs from then on.

Here are some of the signs we saw.










Widdling is an underused word, I have no idea what a barking gate is, I agree with the sign about parents, and I can't help think the large crack down the town steps makes a mockery of the impervious paving.


The last sign was fascinating.
"Do you think swifts can read?" I asked the LSH.
"I doubt it," he said "but the signs are always where there are swift boxes." He pointed to one on the eaves of the roof above the sign.
"Do you think they pay rent?" I asked.
"Hummm," he thought for just long enough to make me think he wasn't listening. "Maybe not but they certainly leave a deposit!"



No comments:

Post a Comment