Thursday 26 April 2018

Little Parcels of Love

Yesterday I was reminded of the Wendy Cope poem about the orange.


At lunchtime I bought a huge orange—
The size of it made us all laugh.
I peeled it and shared it with Robert and Dave—
They got quarters and I had a half.

And that orange, it made me so happy,
As ordinary things often do
Just lately. The shopping. A walk in the park.
This is peace and contentment. It's new.

The rest of the day was quite easy.
I did all the jobs on my list
And enjoyed them and had some time over.
I love you. I'm glad I exist.

I’ve always liked that poem. It reminds me of the joy it is possible to get from everyday life and how funny extra large things can be.

It was the sight of a huge apple turnover that had me reciting the poem.

Apple Turnovers - £1 coin for size


My mum is very unwell now. She has wonderful friends and family who bring things when they visit, like flowers, food and magazines. With flowers there is always the risk that too many will make the house look like a funeral parlour. Food that won't get eaten and magazines that won't be read can feel like a waste.  Mum jokes that she has a very well fed food recycling bin and the dog is getting very fat. I couldn't help laugh at the turnovers being given as a gift to someone who was struggling to eat half a bowl of soup.

People aren't giving food. Not really.  What they are giving is little parcels of love.

Before now I've struggled to understand the people who take on charity challenges.  I remember watching the first London marathon with my friend. We sat in my living room on the flock blue sofa, eating a marathon  (snickers bar) as our way of showing support and laughing at people wobbling all over the place and wearing silly costumes.  These days it is faster and much more serious.
My friend turned to me and said, "When I'm old enough, I'm going to do that.  It looks brilliant doesn't it?"
I looked at her as if I had a bad smell under my nose.
"Will you do it with me?" she asked
"Errr, No!" I said.
Maybe that's why we are no longer friends and I have no idea if she has run the London Marathon.
I never understood the people who said, "I'm doing it for my Dad," or "It is to make my Mum proud."
But I've worked it out now.  It's a little parcel of love.

So, while I will never run the Marathon I have decided to do this year's Swimathon.  It's for two cancer charities: Cancer Research and Macmillan.  I have noticed that cancer is hard to live with or die from and if I raise a little bit of money it might make things a little easier for someone else.  Also, I like swimming and getting into the pool regularly has helped keep me sane. (I know what you're thinking but I would be a lot worse without it).  It's also my little parcel of love.

A friend has already sponsored me and that feels like a little parcel of love too.
If you feel like donating you can here

No comments:

Post a Comment