Saturday 24 February 2018

Something on your feet

Now the children have left home the Long Suffering Husband and I are going out again.  Before children, we loved to go to the cinema.  The LSH could have been a film critic (if he liked writing) and sometimes dreams of retiring to become a projectionist.  Lately, we've seen loads of films and actually have an opinion on which films should win Oscars.

I was bragging about my new life to a couple of colleagues in the staff room, telling them about Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, which is an amazing study in character and should win all the acting Oscars.
"I'd like to see that one with Imelda Staunton," said one.
"She's an amazing actress," I agreed.
"Oh yes," said the other, "What's it called? I can't remember. Something. Something on your feet."
"Slippers?" I wondered.
"I was thinking dog shit," said my other colleague.
We laughed for a while until the title finally came to mind.
"Finding your feet!" I shouted.
I'd seen the trailer and it looked fun.  One of the clips showed Imelda Staunton and Celia Imrie swimming in Hampstead Heath ladies pond, so maybe the thing on their feet is a verruca.  The Guardian review called it a feelgood comedy with a starry cast but a creaky script.

 By Source (WP:NFCC#4), Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=54490321


Today, we couldn't decide what to see.  We fancied Shape of Water but it was sold out. The LSH wasn't sure about I Tonia.
"We could see Finding your feet. It might be nice to see a nice, fluffy, feelgood movie after all this serious Oscar stuff we've been watching." I suggested.

This is a film, however, that should come with a health warning.

It is a good film, with a brilliant cast of older people.  It is a real treat to see older women on screen being real, and having true conversations that are not just about men. There are some very funny bits too, even if they are a bit predictable.  However, it is a film about death.

Death has been on my mind a lot recently.  I've been thinking about how we are all dying that it's the one thing that we can't avoid but it's also the thing that we least like thinking about. It might be that until someone you love dies you don't really think about your own mortality.  Others might be contemplating their own extinction and I'm only thinking about it now because I've had a grief filled year.  It might be like menopause: I've lost count of the the times I've heard a famous actress or journalist on the radio, who when they hit their late forties say, "The thing is, no one ever talks about menopause."

I'm not a someone who cries but this was a film I sobbed through at least two thirds of and had to sit at the back of the cinema long after the room had gone dark, trying to compose myself.  If you are recently bereaved, have been cheated on by a husband, have a relative with Alzheimer's, know anyone with stage 4 cancer, lost a partner in a car accident or had a partner die during sex then this film should be treated with caution.  It might turn out to be the most painful two hours of your life.

I must remember to tell my daughter, as she cried during Paddington.

No comments:

Post a Comment