Wednesday 20 September 2017

Eye Level

I'm feeling a bit fragile about my weight at the moment. I've reached that age where I'm flabby and tired.

I've even got too fat for my wedding ring.
"That's got to be water retention," said my colleagues in the staff room. There was some discussion about squeezing my fingers to release some of the water but I was concerned that water leakage wasn't something else I need to deal with.

My most wobbly bit is my tummy. When working with 4 and 5 year olds this is the bit of me they are looking at and children of this age take no prisoners.
"When is the baby coming?"
"It's not."
The child rubbed my belly and said, "Why not?"
I was already feeling fragile and wasn't sure I could answer the question but I like to be honest if possible.
"Because I'm too old to grow a baby in my tummy," I said.
The child took a couple of steps back so that my face was in view and with head tilted to one side said, "Oh, no you're not," rubbed my belly again and wandered off muttering about not understanding.

You would think this would be a wake up call but here I am sitting on the sofa, watching a depressing programme about body age and eating a second slice of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment