Wednesday 28 June 2017

If I could scream

I have a stupid little Minnie Mouse squeak of a voice at the moment. It is frustrating but I was chilled about it. It's one of those things. My colleagues laughed or sympathetically whispered (mostly laughed). The children just shrugged and said, "Again? I think you should get yourself a nice drink of water." The Long Suffering Husband suffers the most because he can't get answers to his questions by shouting from another room but I think it does him good to move a bit more.

 I thought that massage was my miracle cure: that I lost it due to tight muscles, so I cancelled choir and went along to be bruised by a sadist. There hasn't been much improvement yet but I'm hopeful.

Other people (I'm sure) would be wanting to scream but I am very laid back about it. I continue to work, creatively adapting my plans. I am more tired because you have to be so much more animated to teach without a voice. 

I want to scream too but not about my voice.

Last night, there was a news report about a school in Saffron Walden that has taken music off the curriculum for year 7 and 8. I would have shouted at the TV if I could. It's such a stupid, short sighted move. The head explained that it was due to cuts. One of his music teachers was going abroad to teach (no doubt to somewhere he'd be appreciated) and despite believing in a "broad and balanced curriculum" he had decided not to replace him and to cut the subject. His other music teacher will continue to teach the GCSE classes until no one wants to take music GCSE because they haven't been taught it before.

I'm not surprised.

Since the introduction of the Ebac it was inevitable. Music was one of the subjects not included, so 
children can't take it to count towards their qualifications. So, what's the point teaching it? Especially when it's so difficult. 

Well, what is the point?

Because you only have to look at our human response to the tragedies that have happened recently. People sang. They made charity records and held concerts. Music brings people together.

I could go on. I could rant and shout and swear but I've lost my voice, so I won't.



No comments:

Post a Comment