Sunday 18 September 2016

For Hire

I'm finding this weekend quite difficult. My friends are packing their cars; playing a game of Tetris with duvet, wok and a year's supply of pot noodles. They are sad and proud. I should have been doing the same. My son was going to his insurance choice University but couldn't get accommodation, so has deferred. We are all agreed that a gap year won't do him any harm but I still feel a bit sad.

Now he has to decide what to do with his year. I notice that the list pad has disappeared from the fridge, so I know he is making plans. Earning some money has to be somewhere on his list.

Yesterday was a regatta day and a group I play with were asked to provide music on the quay. I was already sad and tired (from the second week at work) but the thought of making music in public with this bunch of adult beginner musicians had made me grumpy and snappy. The poor Long Suffering Husband really earned his title. The one rehearsal we'd had was awful and I was not looking forward to feeling public humiliation. The LSH and my son were patient with me. They carried my instrument case, chair and music and ignored my snappiness. 

"I've forgotten my music stand. Oh, how could I be so stupid?"
I kicked my clarinet case, folded my arms  and set my face into a toddler worthy pout, "That's it I can't play!"
"I can hold your music," my son said.
"Come on, get the bass out," cajoled the LSH.

It was fine. The band played really well and in half an hour had almost completely cleared the quay of people, so we could get to the pub for a drink.


My music stand was amazing. Not only did he hold the music at the right level but he stopped it blowing away:  better than pegs or even knicker elastic. I've never had a music stand that helped you keep time by tapping its foot and followed the music, so that if you got distracted by a waving audience you only had to check its eyes to find your place. He also changed the music and turned the page. His mate suggested that it was something he could put on his CV: professional music stand. I think he could  make it a business venture and put himself out for hire. I would highly recommend him. He hasn't set his prices for the general public yet but it cost me a Jack Daniels and Coke on top of his normal board and lodging.

I believe other human music stands are available but I doubt they are as good.


This one did seem particularly dedicated to her art but won't last very long if she keeps kneeling on concrete.

No comments:

Post a Comment