Thursday 21 April 2016

Laughing Woods

It's been quite a week. A week of amazing highs and terrible lows. Great performances, Birthday celebrations for the Queen and deaths. 

I'm usually quite phlegmatic about celebrity deaths.  I think that they have had a good life and will always be remembered by their work but today I wore black. There was so much Victoria Wood could have written about being a normal woman growing older. She would have been so funny. She was always so funny. I wanted to be her when I grew up, which might have been possible if I'd managed to grow up. Like many people, I was surprised at she wasn't in her fifties. My first memory of her on TV was when I was a teenager. She didn't look much older than me and I thought she was brilliant.
My mum didn't agree. "Oh, I don't like her. She's probably a..." and then she mouthed a word that I thought was Lesley Ann.

During my morning dog walk I was running some of my favourite Victoria Wood jokes in my head when I saw one of the little old men, pockets stuffed with treats, that my dog loves. 
"Hello darling," he said.
Overly friendly, I thought and then I realised he was talking to the dog. His dog was playing with a fox and I regretted not having my phone for video evidence. Another woman and her three dogs (11 legs) joined us and we stood and we all walked together.
He saw his friend with a tubby dog, who ran up for his special 'diet' treats.
"Thank goodness you've come along. You can protect me. I thought these two ladies might drag me into the woods and do things to me."
His friend rolled his eyes, "That's just wishful thinking, mate," and winked at us, "he'd be fit for nothing if you got him in there."
The two friends went off in the other direction discussing their prostates and us predatory women carried on together.
"I love this town and it's funny little old men."
"They're unique," she agreed, "Woody is particularly funny. You know him don't you?"
"Oh yes, I hit him with a tennis ball when the dog was a puppy. I haven't tried throwing a ball since."

Woody. I was reminded of another Wood that made me laugh. I wondered how he was. I would like to tell you all about him but this evening I found out that he passed away at the weekend and I find I have sat here for the last hour typing and deleting, with tears in my eyes. So all I can say is that Woods make me laugh and Denis will always be the inspiration for my sitcom (that I might finish one day).  



No comments:

Post a Comment