Monday 7 December 2015

Bad Role Model

Something has been bothering me all weekend.

I think I'm a bad role model. 

Not because I sing alternative lyrics to Christmas Carols with the children, although, hearing 32 children walk down the high street singing, "Most highly flavoured lady, salt and vinegar," did make me worry about the performance we were about to give. In truth there are probably many reasons why I am a bad role model but it's not any of those that have been worrying me.

It's the things that people assume are my good points, like being tough, hard working, dedicated and enthusiastic that might be a bad example.

I'm currently in the middle of this Christmas performance season and it is as crazy as ever but I'm calm. I've reached the point where there is too much to worry about, so I will just assume that everything will be fine. I met someone yesterday who said that I seemed very chilled for a music teacher in December. We ended the conversation with her saying, " I'll see you at the Carol concert."  
My mind raced through the calendar, flipping pages to place her at a particular event.
"You look confused."
"I'm just trying to work out which Carol concert I will see you at."
"You have more than one?"
"Errrm, seven this week."
"Oh, I was talking about the one next week."
"Next week? Oh yes, next week. I haven't looked at that yet. I'm sure there will be at least one next week."

This dedication and enthusiasm for music might seem laudable but to some it is terrifying. 

A sixth form student asked my year 5/6 class to complete a questionnaire about whether every primary school child should be given the opportunity to learn an instrument. The answers made me laugh. I particularly liked the answer that said, "my music teacher expires me."

I loved the answers to questions such as, "What encouraged you to play an instrument?" that went something like, "Tuesday," or "Brussel sprouts."

But the most concerning was the child who  answered the question, "What stops you from learning a musical instrument," with the following rant:
"I just don't want to. I don't want to spend that much of my life playing music because I just don't like it that much, OK!"

This is all my fault. I'm sure you can play a musical instrument occasionally - just not in December.


No comments:

Post a Comment