Wednesday 5 August 2015

My Children were Freaks

Why did no one tell me?

Not one of my friends pulled me to one side and said, "Julia, I have to tell you that your babies are freaks.  They have hair on their head!"

Daughter - day 1
Son - day 1


Why not?  All these years when I should have been ashamed of my body's ability to create a monster and I didn't know. It was bad enough that they were ginger.

When I was pregnant I had a lot of heartburn and several midwives told me that it meant my babies would be hairy, "Oh, don't worry dear.  I just mean on their heads.  You aren't going to birth monkeys or anything."  They didn't suck their teeth and say, "Oh dear, heartburn.  Your baby will be a freak with hair on it's head!"

It has taken me this long and a front page picture in the Daily Mail of a child (not even a newborn) with hair to appreciate my mistake.


Today, my daughter sent me a screenshot of her Facebook page with #journorequest:  "Looking for pics of babies with lots of hair! Your pics could be in the paper tomorrow."

I'm sure it's not that unusual. Is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment