Tuesday 29 October 2013

Thank you for the suggestion Universe, I'll consider it.

"There is no such thing as reading too much"  This is what I tell the Long Suffering Husband as dirty clothes and dishes pile up around us and we dine on a paket of biscuits for tea.
"Reading improves the mind," I tell the dog, as he crosses his legs and dreams of a nice long walk.


Beside my bed I have a pile of about 9 novels that I've been meaning to read but just haven't been able to get into.  There were 9 but already that number is down to 6 and I am beginning to wish the week was longer.  If I were less of an all or nothing kind of person it wouldn't be a problem.  I would be able to read and work but I fear that moment.  You know that moment? The moment when nothing else matters except the story.  You can't put the book down.  No one can talk to you.  The house could explode and you wouldn't notice. It's the moment when commuters live in fear of missing their stop.  I have been known to walk home from school, a train station or the beach still reading because I'd reached that moment.


Einstein thought that you could read too much after a certain age because it diverts you from your own creative persuits and makes you lazy.  He didn't specify what that age was but I think I might have reached it.  I am definitely lazy when I'm on a reading spree.  I don't think that reading makes me less creative, though.  It makes my brain work overtime.  I wake up in the middle of the night with ideas that I just have to write down, which are unfortunately both illigible and unintelligable in the morning.

The last book I read kept referring to an author I had heard of in another novel but who I thought was made up.  I was told by a rather serene Taoist once that if you hear something three times then the Universe is really trying to make to sit up and take notice.  He said that books that are recommended by three people are very important for you to read.  So when I started reading the last novel the author, Kurt Vonnegut's name kept popping up and I wondered if maybe he was a real person after all.  The way he was talked about in both this book and the last was as a literary genius and I had never heard of him before.  Then actual book titles were mentioned.  I know someone had mentioned Slaughterhouse 5 before.  After my three hints from the Universe I thought I might need to check this out.  The problem is though, that the characters in the books I've been reading who like Kurt Vonnegut are slightly odd self-obsessed teenage boys.  Would I be able to relate in the same way that they can?


Then I was taking a break from my reading by reading my Twitter feed and Letters of Note posted this letter.
http://www.lettersofnote.com/2013/10/make-your-soul-grow.html

I like the idea of my soul growing, so I clicked the link.  Kurt Vonnegut.  There he was again.  Ok Universe, I'm listening.  But this is terrifying.  Kurt Vonnegut has written 15 novels, 10 books of short stories, a play, 4 novellas and 11 non-fiction books. Do I have room on my bedside table?


Can I have another couple of weeks off work to get through all of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment