Saturday 4 May 2013

Bonkeroony

Michael Gove invented a new word this week.  He is such a clever chap.  The idea of challenging David Cameron for the leadership of the conservative party when they are as unpopular as they are isn't just bonkers or lunacy it's both at the same time. In honor of the great man I dedicate this post to ten things that I think are bonkeroony.


1.  That 'girl' is still an insult.  There is nothing wrong with being female.  I quite like it most of the time and it certainly doesn't make me any less brilliant.  But boys are still using it as an insult. This week I heard my son say to his online gaming friend, "You're just a little girl who is not fit for combat!"  Of course, I challenged him on it and he agreed that there was nothing wrong with being a girl and he saw my point but his friend had chosen an Avatar that was a little girl with a pink bow in it's hair.  Men call each other female to imply that they are less and there seems to be an endless supply of words to use.  Every novel I have read recently has included at least one of these insults and some of them have been written by women.



3.  That public figures are still having fights on twitter.

4.  That weeds grow faster than things you want to grow.


5.  That women are still nasty to each other and pick on each other for their appearance.  I heard two women talking about another and they said, "I can't believe that she's got to 25 and she doesn't know that she has to pluck her eyebrows."  Mary Beard is picked on in public because she has gray hair and wears little make up.  Samantha Brick writes articles about how women hate her because she is beautiful.  

6.  That people want to convert others to their own beliefs.  I confess that this one belongs to the Long Suffering Husband.  He opened the door to a Witness family today and has watched Kingdom of Heaven for the millionth time and he said, "I don't get it.  I just don't get why people can't just let other people believe whatever they want to believe."  I think he has a point and it fits with how I feel about number 5 too.  No one really wants people to be exactly like them.  Children in the playground are always complaining, "Miss, he's copying me!"

7.  That Godfrey Bloom, UKIP MEP (an oxymoron if there ever was one), thinks businesses should not employ women of childbearing age.

8.  That people still think feminism is about men opening or not opening doors for women.

9.  That the LSH still watches the Voice and can't see that it is all carefully planned and rehearsed in advance.

10.  That people can't understand why teenage girls have difficulty with body image when Top Shop have mannequins that look like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment