Tuesday 18 September 2012

A case of mistaken identity

Today has been spent disguising things.  I have grated courgettes for my Greek Pie, "No, of course there are no courgettes in there!" and I have tried to make a chocolate cake with beetroot in it.  I won't be making the cake again, even chocolate can't hide the taste of earthy beetroot.  I have turned raspberries into cupcakes and raspberry ripple ice cream.  In fact, I have disguised myself as a domestic goddess.


When I was in town this morning I kept talking to people I knew only to find they were not who I thought they were.  When I got up close I found they were usually much younger versions.  Now that I've cleaned my glasses, though, random strangers don't have my friend's wrinkles.


Do you think you'd be any good in an identity parade?  Could you spot someone that you'd seen before?  Would you be able to describe someone if you were asked?  I wondered this as I thought about all the strangers I'd seen this morning with wrinkles.  My parents were discussing someone at the allotment and my Dad said, "You mean the black lady?" to which my Mum replied, "Where's she black?"  I hope they never get called to an identity parade.


Walking the dog this morning a very strange thing happened.  A cat came running up to him and rubbed noses.  This confused both me and the dog for a while and I said, "Hello Puss?"  A heavily muscled, colourfully tattooed man with a skinhead haircut appeared from his garage and replied, "Oh, hello!"  The cat arched it's back and hissed and I giggled out a, "Good Morning!"

Not the man I saw just a picture I found on the internet
I wonder if Puss is this man's nickname or he just thought I was being exceptionally friendly?

No comments:

Post a Comment